Jay and Me

Jay and Me

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Weathered Wedding Dessert and Dinner Menu


I'm a big fan of the restore, reuse and recycle mantra. Recently I rifled through all of the old materials that were left in the shed of our 1900 Victorian and came across a bunch of original, antique windows. They were in all different shapes and sizes. I could donate them to the salvage yard, or I could do something useful with them. I decided to turn them into chalkboards! The first thing I did was make a drink menu for our kitchen. Sometimes you can find really cool windows that already have chipping paint in a fun color. Others you might need to shabby up yourself.  First, you prime the glass with spray primer. Then you use a couple of coats chalkboard spray paint on the panes. Then paint the frame a dark brown or black, and once that dries, you dry brush whatever color you like best, so that the dark color shows through.

Then it hit me. As an alternative to printing individual wedding menus for the tables and saving some trees, I have elected to use a chalkboard (made by moi!) like these to display the dinner and dessert menus at the wedding on easels. I opted to test my idea with other brides, and it worked! I sold several on Etsy.com (but my shop is on hiatus right now while I am in ultra wedding planning mode -- 75 days to go!). If you're having a smaller wedding, they can be great for seating charts too.

Turns out that planning a wedding can bring out the creative side in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment