Jay and Me

Jay and Me

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Something old and something borrowed

Part of what constitutes shabby chic is the blending of different patterns and sentiments that seem to go together, despite their contrasts, in a romantic and feminine way. Believe it or not, I have gathered enough mismatched floral china dinner plates for all of my nearly 200 guests! (By the way, it was cheaper to handpick these beautiful plates from thrift stores for .50 to $2 per piece than to rent them!)

While all guests would each get a taste of vintage charm at dinner, I wanted to add more sentimental items to the head table's place settings. While rifling through boxes of my grandmother's family heirlooms, we came across some really cool things we'll integrate into the wedding decor. I was so excited to find the items and it made my day!

For starters, Jay and I will use sterling silver napkin ring holders at our table settings that were my great, great grandparents' (given to them on their wedding day) over one hundred years ago. They are engraved with their names, Oscar and Mamie. We'll also use the china plates of my grandmother and great grandmother at the head table. We'll place my maternal great grandmother's favorite hymn books on our ceremony altar (an antique fireplace mantel!) in the Sotterley garden.

Check out our finds!



No comments:

Post a Comment