Jay and Me

Jay and Me

Thursday, March 10, 2011

The proof is in the invitation

I started my wedding planning not really caring about things like the stationary, but the deeper I developed the theme, look and feel, it occurred to me that the invitation was more important than I had originally thought. First, it is the one and only detail that each and every attendee is guaranteed to see. Second, it sets the tone for the day and is a way to incorporate your wedding theme and colors on paper into a tangible, little package. 

Getting them sent out about 2.5 months in advance after hours of prep work was a monstrous relief. And they were a huge hit! It was also a reminder that we are REALLY getting married! Soon!

I loved the way calligraphy looked so elegant on invitations and found someone on Etsy who began work on a design that would give guests a glimpse at the handmade details of the wedding with the vibrant grass green of the bridesmaid dresses. I also wanted the wording to be unique. We chose to highlight our own names and incorporate intimate wording such as "...request the pleasure of your company as they vow to forever love, honor and cherish each other in matrimony."

Our stationer not only did the calligraphy, but drew the birds, hand antiqued the linen paper and added the green backing! 

We decided to complete the look with vintage postage stamps that revolved around writing, journalism, and shipping (our professions/passions -- also from Etsy.com), and tied the sets together with garden twine. We forewent calligraphy and special labels on the front of the envelopes in lieu of self-made ones with the vintage typewriter font that will also be used for our wedding programs and menus.

As many recently married people know, our guests are not meeting the deadline for returning the RSVP, so we're getting worried! Guess we'll be spending our weekend on the phone.... :)

 

3 comments:

  1. Those look great! I developed this odd obsession with stationery myself when I started planning my wedding. Now it does seem to be the biggest DIY project on my hands and can't wait to get it started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally understand, and invitations are just one of many big stationary projects! but surprisingly, they make such a big impact! thanks for reading the blog, and happy planning!!!

    ReplyDelete